Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Spring Break and at last a new posting...

A post that never got published from Spring 2009? Wow! This semester I am taking Young Adult Literature so I am reading constantly. Here is a short recap...

Required Reading...
1. Realistic fiction: McCaughrean, Geraldine. (2007). The white darkness. New York: Harper
Tempest. (action/adventure)
2. Historical fiction: Schlitz, Laura Amy. (2007). Good masters! Sweet ladies!: Voices from a
medieval village. New York: Candlewick Press. (This is also a classroom connections book)
3. Science fiction/Fantasy: Ruff, Matt. (2007). Bad monkeys. New York: HarperCollins.
4. Humorous/Sports: Murdock, Catherine Gilbert. (2008) New York: Houghton Mifflin.
5. Mystery/Horror: Jenkins, A.M. (2006). Beating heart: A ghost story. New York:
HarperCollins.
6. Poetry: Hemphill, Stephanie. (2007). Your own, Sylvia: A verse portrait of Sylvia Plath. New
York: Knopf.
7. Multicultural: Budhos, Marina. (2006). Ask me no questions. New York: Simon & Schuster.
8. Nonfiction: Barakat, Ibtisam. (2007). Tasting the sky: A Palestinian childhood. New York:
Farrar, Straus, and Giroux.
9. Graphic novel: Shivack, Nadia. (2007). Inside out: Portrait of an eating disorder. New York:
Atheneum Books for Young Readers.
10. Classic YA literature: Blume, Judy. (1975). Forever. New York: Simon Pulse

My favorites were Ask me no questions and Tasting the sky,! Both give unimaginable looks into the life of another culture. I enjoyed both and would recommend them highly. Tasting the Sky was my favorite and the writing was brilliant.

We also had to choose five novels to read and write papers about for class and five to do a book talk about. I am still in the process of reading these. My favorite so far has been The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl. A facinating tale of two stereotypical teens who become friends and find that they are both so much more than a stereotype.

Lyga, Barry (2007). The Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl. Boston: Houghton Mifflin Company.

This week is Spring Break and again I am of course reading. I am currently reading the Adoration of Jenna Fox and enjoying it. Yet this is not my only class, I am also taking cataloging. It has given me a whole new appreciation for what goes into a library book getting on the shelf and into the database. Thank goodness for the library of congress website!


No comments:

Blog Archive

Cookies in the Library????